Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mad Martigan - Beginnings

Your first sentient thoughts in this world are typically about loving parents, siblings, family, friends. Rarely do these first thoughts revolve around your prescribed place in the world, if your anything other than a nyloc. My Place: I was created to be a slave to our drow masters. Not me personally, of course. Many of us broke the yoke of servitude before I was born. But knowing my entire race was created for the sole purpose of cringing and fetching for those pathetic spider worshippers is a hard one to grow up to.

I imagine many of our race have found the truth hard to live with and have slipped into the peaceful quiet of oblivion. Long story short, many of my brethren don't live long. My oblivion comes in the form of the bottle. Yes, I drink. To extreme excess. But once, during a roaringly good party in the discordian temple I happened upon Fezzik, who bought me several rounds of some toxic mix that I had a hard time metabolizing. As we bought each other drinks that wild evening (I think there was even a rabbit with a hat, and a rat riding a bat) I quickly found my world view confused with his verbose prose and seemingly chaotic meanderings.

Then the bastard punched me. Not being very solid at the time I crumpled and lay a shaowy heap on the floor, leaching blood and alcohol onto an already grimy floor. I passed out.

I awoke feeling really dumb for letting that hulking bastard sucker punch me like that. I also felt strangely powerful. A strength and vitality infused me that I had never felt before. As you might imagine, for a race that fears the sun, this felt good. I came to believe I could rip doors off their very hinges. As I went to the door of the tavern to try that very thing that hulking brute Fezzik stepped out and said, "That door you are spying is not worth the trying. If you make that attempt you won't be exempt from the pain you'll be feeling from the lack of your training. Come with me and you'll be ripping out trees." Not one of his better rhymes, but he made his point.

So started my training as one of Fezziks Brute Squad. As a teacher he is great. We drink, he teaches, we drink some more. I fit right in with his crowd. They don't even seem to mind that I am different, most of them seem to think I am just some figment of their alcholic stupor.

No comments:

Post a Comment